Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Call Me Captivated...

I wish I could capture the feel of the wind on my face and keep it near to me forever. Somehow stick it in my pocket to pull out on days when I just need reprieve. It's gentle push against my skin reminds me that I am alive, that I can feel.

I've spent two days in a row sitting in this park. It's beautifully secluded from the roaring rumpus of city life. To the untrained eye it's little more than a small, well-kept park. To me, it's a place of peace. The only place I can think of that allows my thoughts and prayers to float free. The wind picks them up and carries them away to the Lord. My soul knows no confinement in this place. The walls of my heart come down and I am left completely unguarded and exposed to absorb everything around me.  The chirping of birds, the color in the trees, the flags waving boldly in the breeze. The beauty here allows me to connect with the Holy Spirit in a deeply rejuvenating way that I can't seem to find elsewhere. 

I find myself here when my heart is heavy, when I feel unsettled or uncertain. When the tightness and the emptiness in my chest become unbearable.  Nothing would make me happier than to take up residence on this bench and do nothing but lie here and stare up at the sky every day of my life. To simply be here with the Holy Spirit who moves me. 

Time gets away from me here. When I close my eyes and pray, He is with me and sends a tingle all over my skin, much like the wind. I never want to leave.

I am instantly reminded of a quote from the book Captivating. It reads, "...remember what it's like to come into a beautiful place, a garden or a meadow, or a quiet beach. There is room for your soul. It expands. You can breathe again. You can rest. It is good. All is well."  Yes, it is. No matter the hurt in my heart, when I set foot in this place, Jesus knows why I am here. And He always delivers. He never fails me or fails to understand me. He doesn't disappoint. He fills me up and quiets my aching heart. He is always good. 

1 comment: