Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Love my nieces to pieces!


Every little girl dreams of growing up and getting married, right?  Not me.  Growing up, all I ever really wanted to be was a Mommy.  Somewhere along the way I missed the connection: marriage then Mommy.  I had visions of something akin to Old Mother Hubbard, minus the shoe.  I began compiling lists of baby names when I was 7 and my Mom was expecting my sister.  It was the year of Aladdin, and I remember being rather sure that my sister was destined for the name, Jasmine.  :)  I became particularly convinced after my sister was born that I would grow up and have 3 daughters.  Even throughout my teenage years, my desire for babies of my own never wavered.  Scary thought!  And still the idea remained, 3 beautiful daughters. 

It took 30 weeks to determine the gender of my modestly cross-legged baby BOY.  I was baffled.  "Boy?  What do I do with a boy?"  I wasn't ungrateful, per se, but it definitely took some getting used to! (and yes, I'm fairly ashamed to admit that)  Fast forward 4 years and the good Lord has blessed me with 2 amazing boys! They are awesome and bring me so much joy.  I could gush about them for days.  I love them so completely, and there isn't a girl in the world I would trade them for!  In fact, I've come to find that I feel meant to mother boys.  Not that I think I'll never have a daughter, for that is up to the Big Guy, but I feel like maybe I have something special to offer in molding these little men.

I fully believe that it is by this same divine intervention that I am blessed with 3 beautiful nieces!  (No nephews so far!)  Ohhh, and they melt my heart!!  I am supremely smitten by my splendid sweethearts.  Three incredible princesses that I get to love as my own, spoil rotten, and then send 'em on home!! Being an Aunt has been unmatched by anything, except motherhood.  And for me, they are really more adjacent anyway.  I feel the same call and responsibility to my gorgeous girls as I do my handsome boys.  Nothing beats the swell in my heart when I see my charming primadonna spinning in a purple dress, a well-earned smile from my little rag doll, or the smell of a perfectly pink newborn held close to my chest. There's just something special about little girls. You teach me how to love well, and what it means to be loved well. 😍


To my nieces: Stella, Skyler, and Emma, these are my words to you:

Never grow up! ;) I make it my personal duty to see to that!  I promise to read you books and feed you ice cream when Mommy isn't looking.  I guarantee many, many tickle fights and lots of laughter and kisses.  I cant wait to introduce you to some quality music, and I look forward to the dance parties that will ensue!  On the other hand, I promise to teach you manners, respect, and courtesy. Compassion for others and the importance of an education.

Life is confusing. It's full of glorious moments that will capture your heart and take your breath away, and in the next fell swoop, the ground beneath your feet will seem to crumble.  But know this: I will love you ALWAYS, through thick and thin, exactly as you are.  I will protect you... from those who try to hurt you, but also from yourself.  I will be your safe place and your rock. I will always have a hug to give and a shoulder to cry on.  I will listen to every story and praise your every accomplishment.  No matter how scary the world, know that the good always outshines the bad.  And believe in that with all your heart.  I promise to help you cultivate a relationship with your Heavenly Father, and to show you the infinite peace He provides.  Be strong, but tender.  You can do anything a man can do, but do it well.  Embrace your inner beauty and let it shine as a light for others to follow.  Take time for yourself.  Work hard.  Don't give up and never question that you are capable of great things. Whenever you're in doubt, please remember, you just being you is enough. It will always be enough. You are extraordinary.  And if you ever need reminding of how breathtaking your you-ness is, just give me call.  
From the moment I first held each of you, I knew I would do anything for you.  You are each an irreplaceable part of me, as I hope to be to you.  I am one very lucky Aunt.  I love you, girls.  Always and forever.  
Love,
Aunt Jessa


Father, I want to thank you for bringing me 3 wonderful nieces who capture my heart.  They are a true blessing and I am so grateful and happy that you have chosen to share them with me.  Each of them is so special in their own way.  I thank you for Stella's affectionate heart that loves hard and breaks harder.  I pray she never loses that wide-openness.  I thank you for Skyler's easygoing nature and her silly hair that never fails to make me giggle.  I am especially thankful for the safe and healthy arrival of Baby Emma.  She is a perfect reminder of what is really important in this life, and I thank you for using her to speak to me.  I ask, Lord, that you rain blessings upon each of them so that they may have everything they could ever dream of and more, for I know you have plans to prosper them.  Father, I ask that you use me as a vessel to teach them of Your love and mercy.  I pray that you will protect them and keep them near to you always.  Lastly, Father, I pray that your grace flows through me so that I may have the opportunity to impact their lives like they have impacted mine.  I can't thank you enough for these precious girls.
In Jesus' name,
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. They are equally blessed to have you...we all are!

    ReplyDelete